Saturday, January 29, 2011

Interesting exchanges

Thursday-
Fortunately timed snow day allows me to get over to the house to stay one day ahead of the blueboarders - insulating stair well (insulation company stopped returning calls...) and building boxed beam in family room to add strength to the cathedral wall.   While snowblowing a license plate clogged the blower.  I pulled it out and saw it matched the plasterer's truck so threw it in the driveway behind the truck.  One hour later I get a voicemail from the plasterer,  "Ummmm...., Erik, I'm not sure if you know a guy with a red truck but he just came up the driveway and stole my license plate.  If you know who that is could you call him and have him bring it back?"  The guy (my father-in-law) with the red truck (to borrow my snowblower) was trying to be helpful (by bringing me back my license plate that he thought fell off my car).

Saturday-
With not much to do while plastering stage is being handled we packed the kids up in the car and headed to NH to look at mantels, flooring, walls, and ceiling options at a lumber yard.  Saw a great place with elaborate showroom and lots of options in Brookline, NH.  Decided to stop at another place in Groton, MA on the way home.  The sign off the road was almost nonexistent.  The "lumber yard" looked like a house.  The only clues we had were the vast amounts of sawdust in the snow behind the barn and the little sign on the door that said "office."  I got out to investigate only to find a man in a bathrobe staring out the window at me.  I turned for the car when he came out in the bathrobe and told me the store was closed on Saturdays but he'd be glad to show me around.  So I got a tour of the sawmill and pine board stock by a guy in a bathrobe and snow boots.  To be fair, he had a broken arm and couldn't put on a shirt by himself, so the bathrobe was his all-day attire.

We also stopped at the Maki Budget Barn in Lunenburg.  Found a great pair of American Standard faucets for the girls' bathroom, the only two left.  When I took them out of the car in Auburn I saw that they were actually different.  : (

Sarah moved in to her house today!  Congratulations Sarah!  Tonight we helped her get her last few things set up then spent 3 hours cleaning and rearranging over here.  Bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment