Thursday, January 13, 2011

Heat!... and Snow

Lots happening lately, but no pictures yet.  Too tired right now.

Blueboarder/plasterer is hired.  He came yesterday to do the walls between the garage and house to prep for insulation.  He's ready to go middle/end of next week!
Heating system is all done but the well.
Insulation is slated to start Thursday and be complete by next Tuesday.

And now, how I spent my snow day

Last night: got the phone call - snow day!  Plenty of time to get everything ready at the house for insulation to start Thursday.
Problem: white out conditions expected in the early morning.  I contemplated sleeping at the house, but there's no heat yet.  I decided to get up at 3:30 to beat the snow there. I packed everything I'd need to spend the day and didn't go to bed until 12:30.
3:30 AM - I didn't beat the snow (white out).  I made it to the house more by feel than my sight.
3:45 - got stuck in the driveway with the car halfway in the garage.  Couldn't leave it like that, so had to get out in the snow to push, pull, etc.
4:30 - after a 45 minute battle and with the help of a couple 2x4s and a nylon racheting tie down strap I managed to get myself into the garage and close the door.  Cold and wet and tired, I crawled into the back of the wagon for some more sleep. 
6:00 - after more than an hour of trying to sleep but being too cold I got up and started working.

After that it's a blur.  Things I got done today: 
Wired the geo unit so the downstairs heat would work.  I ran it all day and managed to get the house up to 37F.  Can't wait for insulation. 
Framed out the attic ceiling so we'll be able to sheetrock it after insulation.
Organized all the wires in the basement to get them away from the sills (line voltage and low voltage both)
Side note - I had to pee out the back door since I hadn't shoveled, it was still snowing, and I didn't want to spend the day in a cold house with soaking wet pants and boots.
Layed out and started installation of central vac.  Only had time to complete the branches that were absolutely necessary (inside insulated walls).  The one under the mud room was a PAIN.
Ran a 2" PVC conduit from the basement to the attic for future wiring needs.
Fireblocked the new holes that I drilled today.
Cleaned and organized some.
Framed a box around the downstairs bathroom vent in the play room closet.
Exposed a few wires and switch boxes that the blueboarder covered when he did the wall between the garage and house.  He also covered a section of exterior wall that isn't insulated yet and forgot to blueboard the wall between the bedroom and bathroom for soundproofing.  Need to call him tomorrow.
And last, but not least - shoveled the driveway.  18" of snow plus being on the outside edge of a cul de sac make for one giant snowplow bank.  Started that around 8 or 9 with Paul and Sarah.  Finished up right around 11:30.

Things I didn't get done today that I will have to go do before work tomorrow (it's 12:45AM, so I guess that's today):
Video tape all of the exposed wiring and plumbing before it all gets covered up.
Move the giant pile of scrap lumber from in front of the garage door so the insulators can get in.
Move all the tools and miscellaneous crap in the dining room into the basement to get it out of their way.

p.s.  Thankyous today: to Amy and Sarah for delivering DD once the roads were cleared.  They had to wade through the 4' high plowed snowbank since I hadn't shoveled yet.  Also, to Amy and Sarah for delivering a delicious dinner.  To Paul and Sarah for coming to help me shovel out at 9PM.  Unfortunately, one of the pins on the snowblower broke after one pass so it was a shovel job for the rest of it (pictures of the snow piles tomorrow).  And to dad for going on Tuesday to take pictures of all the inside walls before they get covered in case we need to find any wires/plumbing in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment